Friday, February 27, 2009

Embracing Professionalism

What does it mean to be professional? I have spent most of my twenties cavorting with artists, poets, dancers, and folks of a cavalier, emotive persuasion. Folks whom were fairly disinterested in asking this question. Approaching thirty, I find myself in different waters. Waters filled with a more responsible, disciplined breed. At first I found myself amongst them against my will as some necessary political concession for a livelihood, secretly thinking them repressed and generally boring. With time, I began to understand an intelligence in their foreign ideals of well categorized to do lists, elaborate customs and manners, and general professional nature. This understanding is changing me.

Professionalism is subordinating impulses for personal gratification to the goals of the group or organization. From checking an impulse to browse Facebook at work to not leaving an unscrubbed stove top for your roommate, being professional is a twenty four hour a day commitment. In my current larval development I find two voices in my head, one I refer to as my inner professional, and one as my wild artist. My artist just wants to have a good time, do the dishes "later", devour an untrimmed steak, and have a Tango. My inner pro on the other hand reminds my artist about the importance of fiber in my diet, the benefits of an early bird sleep schedule, as well as the importance of staying home tonight to properly organize, and fold my wardrobe, clean the floor, and make a to do list for the following day. This drill sergeant voice is new to the court. At first he was laughed at, and then violently clashed with but now a cordial dialogue is in process. With time, practice, and diligent continual commitment I know that this fractured multiple personality will evolve and crystallize into one mature human being who no longer sees personal impulses and group responsibilities as a dichotomy.

From the dialects of confuscious
At fifteen my heart was set on learning;
At thirty I stood firm;
At forty I had no more doubts;
At fifty I knew the mandate of heaven;
At sixty my ear was obedient;
At seventy I could follow my heart's desire without transgressing the norm.

3 comments:

  1. "Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative." -Oscar Wilde

    ReplyDelete
  2. To translate for Mr. Wilde, this means that most unimaginative people are inconsistent. They are inconsistent to make up for their lack of imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mr wilde is clearly saying that unimaginative people are consistent.

    try again.

    ReplyDelete